This just in from Urban Baby's Toddler message boards, a fast and furious discussion that DT reader Raquel wanted to share right away [quoted verbatim and without commentary because, honestly, I don't know what to say. Except that 'dh' is 'darling husband']:
A guy in my office just admitted his wife makes him piss sitting down (for germ reasons). Anyone else think there is a chance in hell they could get their dh to do this?
* Wish I could!
* mine does. is it that rare? i didn't insist, he was brought up that way. maybe it's a cultural thing?
o Mine does as well.
o European? My father is Greek and he does this. - I only know b/c my mom told me ;)
+ Poster above -UK
o Mine does. I'm not sure why. I had nothing to do with it-- though I'm happy about the clean bowl!
# In Germany women yell at men if they pee standing up. They think it's unclean.
# My dh used to live with his grandparents as a teenager & grandma insisted both dh & grandpa sit down to pee so she wouldn't have a terrible time cleaning up after them. He still does it to this day (at home only) & I'm grateful.
# OMG! my dh's reaction would be "go f^ck off, you mental case!"
* same here. how whipped does one have to be?
+ first of all he should be lifting the seat to pee - then there would be no reason at all for you to have to touch it!
+ or: are you kidding me? meanwhile, it's just your dh's pee. if it gets you on your thighs you wipe it off. you're not rolling around in it, are you?
# Mine does it already. He grew up in a house of women and I'm guessing that they tormented him so much about the seat that it was just easier that way. Very good for me since he is definitely NOT the type to put the seat down.
# that was in about schmidt as i recall.
# why don't you just castrate your DHs completely and then you won't have any trouble at all!
* stupidest response of the day!
o no it's not, ITA. It's completely emasculating to ask a man to pee sitting down. What if he made you pee standing up?
# I'm just wondering how you ever got a co-worker to admit that
* We were all chatting, and of course the conversation turned to sports and I kept trying to change the subject. It went from Brad and Jen, to Donald Trump, who we all guessed had a gold plated toilet seat, to which I admitted I have fallen into the toilet a few times or sat on the lid when I did not look, at this point colleague (who is not american) casually admitted it. The men in the office looked at him with such pity. It was hysterical.
o very cute
# Even my ds stands (he's 4.5).
# My ds still likes to pee sitting down.
# I don't make mine sit, but I would if he didn't clean up his own dribbles
* would you stand over him to observe said tinkling too to make sure he abides by your wishes?
o wtf is your problem? Do you like pools of piss on your bathroom floor?
+ No, I tell dh to clean the toilet when he does, and he's very neat about it, it's ds who sprays a bit. I just can't imagine telling a grown man the method he must use to relieve himself, LOL
# I thought pee was sterile!
# mine does too - his mom taught him to do it that way so he didnt make a mess - i was suprised the first time i saw him do it actually
* I'm sure he never got any ribbing from his male peers either...
# i've tried to...my poor dh has such bad aim...and it really creeps me out
# my dh sits when he has a boner or else he would pee everywhere
* Love this answer
# you have got to be kidding.
# I'm stuck either way... my dh is 6' 5" so his aim standing up is deplorable (long way down, I guess). sitting, he pees out the front of the lid because he forgets to aim it down. I'm resigned to more frequent floor cleaning because he flatly denies that the splotches on the floor and rim (no matter how yellow) could possibly be HIS urine. Makes me insane.
* OMG! I for the longest time assumed I was making those splotches! I never could understand why I was aiming wrong but never did it occur to me that DH was peeing sitting down! I cant wait to get home!
o For real? I mean, unless you do the hula while you pee, how could it possibly be you?? Men aim badly, period.